Wednesday, October 15, 2008

She's Not There

Wow, it was an incredibly beautiful weekend. You can't ask for much more than 80 degrees in October in Wisconsin. And I wish that my real digital camera (not just my blackberry camera which is what I have been using to post photos up to this point) was working because the view from our front door is absolutely gorgeous right now. Looking west from our home there is a decent-sized hill that is just a wall of fall color. It's really stunning and I'm trying to remember to go out there every day and just appreciate it. Perhaps I will get my camera fixed this weekend and get some pictures posted before all the leaves fall off.

We got an email message from our neighbor about a coworker of hers who is trying to re-home a male black lab because his family is moving. Unfortunately, by the time I reached this person they had already found a home for the dog. I expect that there will be many more of these situations and many more dogs turning up in shelters in the coming months because of foreclosures and general economic strife.

The hubby and I go back and forth about getting a second dog. I think that Finn would really benefit from having a companion around the house and it's so much fun to watch him romp around with his doggy friends. The hubby worries that having two dogs will be a pain and twice as much work, despite the fact that we had two dogs during the most time-consuming and challenging time of Finn's life a.k.a housebreaking a puppy. I visit the local animal shelters pretty regularly looking for the right match but so far he or she hasn't appeared. Even though it has been a year and a half since we said goodbye to our 10-year old lab, Kayla, I still think about her often and mourn that loss. I think I expect that she will reappear at the humane society but even though I keep looking for her she's not there.

1 comment:

The Writer said...

This is interesting because I was the same way about my Buddy. I wanted to find him again. I didn't. What I did find was Bear, a completely different guy with a completely different personality but developing into a great friend just the same. It takes time and when you meet the right dog, you'll know. It won't by Kayla but it will be someone who wants nothing more than to be in your home with you and your family.

Happy wandering!

The Writer...and her dog, Bear